Text/HTML

On Jan 6, 2018, at 1:59 PM, MAgnolia Woodturners <magnolia.woodturners@gmx.us> wrote:

Happy New Year,
Normally I do not make a lot of resolutions at this time of year, but in 2018 I hope to significantly upgrade my turning skills. And to do that I am planning to make all 11 meetings of the Magnolia Woodturners this year.
So I'm asking you to join me. Go ahead today and mark every 3d Saturday through November to join us for some excellent demonstrations, fellowship and other opportunities.
There are several good reasons to make Magnolia Woodturners a priority this year: 1. We are planning some great programs; 2. We have one of the best facilities of any club around (I know it's a drive, but it is comfortable, clean, air conditioned and with built in AV equipment); and 3. We all benefit from the relationships and from learning from each other.

Our first two demonsgtrators are set: Jan. 20 will be Breck Whitworth of Ocean Springs (Lighthouse Woodturners), and on Feb. 17 it will be Jim Creel of Hammond (Bayou Woodturners). Breck will demon 2-piece hollow forms; Jim is to be determined.
Both are not only excellent turners but also are professional demonstrators.

We are making plans for other demos, special projects and generally a good time, so I hope you will make plans to attend, and to contribute. We all learned a long time ago that the more you put into something the more you will get from it.

I look forward to seeing each of you during the coming year.

Joe Dove
  &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&Happy Happy New Year. The January meeting is scheduled for January 20 beginning at 9:30 A.M. Come early and enjoy a sharing time with other turners.
We are starting off the year with a special demo by Breck Whitworth.This is his website :
https://www.woodtreasuresbybre ck.com/
This is a link to AAW Forum Gallery
http://www.aawforum.org/commun ity/index.php?media/users/brec k-whitworth.34002/
Breck will be demonstrating a Two Piece Hollowform. He has stated willingness to critique or suggest solutions for works in progress, so bring your best or problem works for show n tell.
Fees for this meeting will be $15 including the room fee.
Dues for 2018 will be due . Remember the increase to $50 this year to cover increased expense for our fine meeting place.
Be sure to return to the Library anything you have checked out last year. We use the honor system and request that you be sure to return DVD in proper case and sign in the log what you check out or return.
Visit our website HERE and see members galleries and meeting photos
We have changed email servers and this is a better look at the November tip:
http://files.constantcontact.c om/c38abb3f001/c58a5b91-e64f-4 aa1-a7cc-60b27348df47.pdf
Directions from Jackson : https://tinyurl.com/ybnwqa9o
Directions from Hattiesburg: https://tinyurl.com/y8wtgdzj
This is not a monitored mailbox. Please do not respond here. You can contact Gerald Lawrence at lawr1970@bellsouth.net or Clyde Hare at cfhare@att.net.
Gerald Lawrence
Treasurer of Magnolia Woodturners
Webmaster at magnoliawoodturners.org
Audio/ Video Coordinator%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

 

02-12-2018

Well the days do fly as it is time for this months meeting.Meeting on 2/17/18 beginning at 9:30 A.M. come early for coffee and conversation .
We will again have a professional turner giving our program this month. Jim Creel with the Bayou Turners club will be demoing finials. Again the fee will be $15 which includes the room fee. No website but I did find these two references which may be interesting on his skills.
http://aawcontentsource.org/aa w_cs1_pdf/AW2906c4-c4.pdf
http://www.artisticwoodturners .org/LinkClick.aspx? fileticket=i4xISHldQBI%3D& tabid=60&mid=382

Visit our website HERE for pics of meetings and others galleries. Links to tools, techniques, and much more.

Please return any library items you have checked out. The library is based on the honor system with check out for one month so that everyone will have a chance to check out items.

Bring your work for Show N Tell. Bring your Beads of Courage Bowls. I have beads for inset for $1.25 each. NOTE if you need a blank for a BOC bowl call me or email and I will provide you with a blank at no charge. I received a thank you note from one of the children which I will share with y'all.

RAFFLE time. I have the last box of wood from Dale Anderson's shop and some more. Bring wood , tools or anything else you are willing to part with.

We have some big news for next year BUT you will have to come to hear it.
Congratulations to our own Sammy Long who won the Peoples Choice Award at the TAW Symposium in January .

Remember Dues for 2018 are $50 for which we have the best facility of any club without exception.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

03-15-2018

Our meeting will be March 17 beginning at 9:30 A.M.. Come early to catch up with friends. Meeting will be at Co-Lin in Mendenhall . Directions at the bottom of this notice.
This months demo will be presented by Phil Brown on a Three Corner Box.
Be sure to return any Library materials . Library is on the honors system and checked out materials should be returned the month after checkout.
Visit our website magnoliawoodturners.org. You will find pictures of meetings and members galleries, also links to tools , manufacturers and how to videos and articles.
Bring your work for Show N Tell. Bring your Beads of Courage Bowls. I have beads for inset for $1.25 each. NOTE if you need a blank for a BOC bowl call me or email and I will provide you with a blank at no charge. If you have not paid your 2018 dues please bring them to the meeting or mail to me at 103 Copper Ridge Dr, Brandon,MS 39042
This is not a monitored mailbox. Please do not respond here. You can contact Gerald Lawrence at lawr1970@bellsouth.net
##############################################################################################################################3

04-17-2018 Well it is time once more to prepare for a meeting on April 21 at 9:30 AM we will meet at Co-Lin. Come early for coffee and some story swapping.
This months demo will be provided by the recently retired Phil Brown on a tri-cornered box. Phil does a very through demo so you do not want to miss this.
On Thursday and Friday April 19 & 20 several of our club members will be demoing at the MS Agriculture and Forestry Museum come by and say hello from 9 til 2.
Remember to return any items you have checked out of the library and find something new to checkout.
We have many old meetings and galleries of meetings and member photos on the web site along with links to many sites for tools and how to. Space limitations mean that one year of photos had to be deleted this year so if you are looking for something I hay have on my computer in old files.
Discussion will be held about the May meeting at the Overby Farm with planned picnic and cookout.
Bring completed pieces or problem pieces for Show and Tell.Don't forget to pay your dues.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

05-07-2018This is an early request to get numbers for ordering meat and supplies. The meeting this month will be at the Buddy Overby Farm just outside Puckett. Plan to be there by 9:30 AM . Some of the things going on besides the cookout will be:
Tour of the Farm
Chainsaw sharpening
Wood exchange- bring any extra you have
Discussion of June demo by Mark Sillay and hands on
Not planning a show n tell but if you have a new piece you want to show off bring it.
Items we will need are:
Tables & canopies those were volunteered and more if you have them
Ice Chests with ice those who volunteered
Club will provide utensils, drinks and burgersNbun, and hot dogs cooked by Tim
Bring chips, potato salad, slaw, a desert (let me know what you're bringing)
Bring your own chair

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

06-10-2018It is time for our June Meeting . We have a special demo by Mark Sillay this month. You can read about Mark at his website http://www.marksillay.com/ about-me.html .
Mark will be doing a hands on class planned for the woodshop at the Craftsmans Guild. Days to be determined are either Thursday, Friday or Monday or some combination of that. The fee will be $50 for the hands on plus a small honorarium for the Guild. You provide turning tools and the guild has 5 lathes and Mark will provide wood. If you are on the list from the April meeting or if you would like to participate please contact Joe Dove at 601-573-7507 ASAP so the schedule can be planned.
For the meeting the fee will be $15.Meeting starts at 9:30 AM at the Co-Lin campus in Mendenhall. Come early for coffee and conversation.
Bring something you are working on or something you can show for Show-N-Tell. We want to see and hear about what you are doing.
Do not forget to return items to the Library as it has been 2 months since last meeting at Co-Lin.
Check out the website and if you have items you want in your Gallery please send me a photo or bring for Show-N-Tell and I will make photo.
Everyone enjoyed the picnic at Buddy's farm and the demo was very good provided by Sammy.
Here is a link to a AAW article on lidded boxes always a fun project.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

6-17-2018
Time for another meeting and sharing. This months meeting at Co-Lin in Mendenhall will begin at 9:30 A.M. on Saturday 7/21/2018.
     Demo will be provided By Tim Pace on eggs, boxes and some other smalls. Also Gerald Lawrence will demo small laminated boxes using a sacrificial faceplate.
     We have a new computer and will discuss other upgrades possible for your viewing of demos.
     We have begun preparations for a February 2019 demo and hands on by Jimmy Clewes. Limited number of positions available for hands on . Details coming soon.
      We will hold a RAFFLE at this meeting . Bring wood , tools or anything else you think would be helpful to the success of the program.
     Don't forget to return Library materials so that someone else will have a chance to learn from the materials you have enjoyed.
     Be sure to visit our website for links and pics of previous meetings and check out the Galleries for past projects of other members.
     We will be discussing surplus laptop computer and the demo piece which Cindy Drozda did.
     Be sure to bring something for Show N Tell even if it is incomplete we want to see the progress or the problems.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 

7-17-2018

Time for another meeting and sharing. This months meeting at Co-Lin in Mendenhall will begin at 9:30 A.M. on Saturday 7/21/2018.
     Demo will be provided By Tim Pace on eggs, boxes and some other smalls. Also Gerald Lawrence will demo small laminated boxes using a sacrificial faceplate.
     We have a new computer and will discuss other upgrades possible for your viewing of demos.
     We have begun preparations for a February 2019 demo and hands on by Jimmy Clewes. Limited number of positions available for hands on . Details coming soon.
      We will hold a RAFFLE at this meeting . Bring wood , tools or anything else you think would be helpful to the success of the program.
     Don't forget to return Library materials so that someone else will have a chance to learn from the materials you have enjoyed.
     Be sure to visit our website for links and pics of previous meetings and check out the Galleries for past projects of other members.
     We will be discussing surplus laptop computer and the demo piece which Cindy Drozda did.
     Be sure to bring something for Show N Tell even if it is incomplete we want to see the progress or the problems.
 
===========================================================================================================

8-13-2018

     The end of summer is near and maybe as temps fall in the fall we will feel like cutting some turning wood. Meeting begins at 9:30 A.M.Come early and swap some tales. Location is at Co-Lin in Mendenhall
      This months demo will be provided by Don Ritchey on turning a tea pot. Don and Sammy went to a week long class with Michael Gibson and Don is going to relate to us what they learned plus maybe some of his own secrets.
      The Clewes demo will be in February and within the month I will be putting out the invitation to all paid members of MWI. Note there will be a price differential for non-members.
       Events are starting to come up at the Mississippi Agriculture Museum beginning in September. As we get details I will be sending out a request for volunteers.
       We may have some events in home shops this fall so keep your calendar open.
       If you have not visited our web site lately we have pics of meetings and galleries for those who have shown their work at meetings. Note I must have at least 3 pictures in order to start your Gallery. If you have some pics of your work you would like to have in your gallery please send them to me at this address.
        Be sure to return Library items you checked out last month. If you have a list of DVD that you would like to have added, please let us know.
         Bring something for Show N Tell, finished or unfinished or problem piece.

 &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

09-10-2018

Time for the annual three lathe hands on turning small items and Christmas ornaments. Demonstrators will be Phil Brown, Tim Pace and Gerald Lawrence. This will be a get close experience with all three demos going at once and you will have a chance to try your hand at the project , ask questions and share.
     Bring your latest works or problems for Show N Tell.
     I will be bringing some Bradford Pear with a stipulation. If you will turn a Beads of Courage Bowl the wood is free ( bowl can be with the provided wood or wood of your choice). If you choose not to turn a BOC bowl the wood costs $1 to go to the club.
     Updates on coming demos and Ag Museum opportunities.
      We are looking for a person to fill the new position of Demo coordinator.
      Be sure to return anything you have checked out of the library so someone else will have a chance to view the material.
      We are always looking for ways to reach more people if you have ideas or venues we could promote let us know.
       Meeting starts at 9:30 at Co-Lin in Mendenhall. Address is 150 Co-Lin Drive. WE usually have coffee so come early and enjoy.

 @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Time for another meeting and sharing. This months meeting at Co-Lin in Mendenhall will begin at 9:30 A.M. on Saturday 7/21/2018.
     Demo will be provided By Tim Pace on eggs, boxes and some other smalls. Also Gerald Lawrence will demo small laminated boxes using a sacrificial faceplate.
     We have a new computer and will discuss other upgrades possible for your viewing of demos.
     We have begun preparations for a February 2019 demo and hands on by Jimmy Clewes. Limited number of positions available for hands on . Details coming soon.
      We will hold a RAFFLE at this meeting . Bring wood , tools or anything else you think would be helpful to the success of the program.
     Don't forget to return Library materials so that someone else will have a chance to learn from the materials you have enjoyed.
     Be sure to visit our website for links and pics of previous meetings and check out the Galleries for past projects of other members.
     We will be discussing surplus laptop computer and the demo piece which Cindy Drozda did.
     Be sure to bring something for Show N Tell even if it is incomplete we want to see the progress or the problems.